Sew a shirt (M6992) with me: I’ll share some great tips.

Pattern

About a week ago I found this great pattern at Joann’s Fabric during one of their weekly sales.  Yes, I bought a few because they were only $0.99 cents. I have always wanted to sew  different sleeves on a bodice so McCall’s M6992 was my choice.  Follow along this pictorial with me:

I used the view that is featured on this pattern below. I only used two fabric choices. A pink stretch knit and black  stretch lace.

                                                                     IMG_3650 (CUT OUT YOUR DESIRED PATTERN PIECES, ONLY USE SCISSORS FOR PAPER. MIXING YOUR SCISSORS WILL DULL YOUR BLADES EG. A ROTARY CUTTER SHOULD ONLY BE USED FOR YOUR FABRIC)

Steps

First I used my Fiskars rotary cutter to cut my sleeve pattern pieces with this pink stretch knit.  I cut two pieces for the front and back to create seams.

I love this tool but never cut on paper or it will stop working for your fabric. Trust me this happened to me ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3651

Lay out your lace. I used this black stretch lace that I purchased from Hancock Fabrics

IMG_3652

Cut out the front overlay. I use metal washers as pattern weights instead of using pins.

IMG_3654

Sew the pieces of the bodice front and bodice back together. Notice I used binder clips to keep the edges approximated instead of using pins.

IMG_3660

Keep going while removing the binder clips once you reach the pressor foot.

IMG_3662

By using the binder clips and a 1/4 inch seam allowance, look how approximated the edges are. A nice neat finish.

IMG_3663

Set the tension on your serger (if you don’t have one use a zig zag stitch) to finishes the seams of your bodice pieces.

IMG_3666IMG_3664 IMG_3665

Okay, now lay out your lace to get your stretch in the desired direction. This will be used for the front lay over piece and for the sleeves.  I was a little nervous cutting the lace, but it wasn’t as delicate as I thought.  I used the rotary cutter with no problem.

IMG_3652       IMG_3653             IMG_3654

IMG_3670 Here i used Stich Witchery to create a hem for the lace bodice overlay. I thought it would make the machine stitch more stable.  I probably won’t do this part again because I almost ruined my iron.   I know I should have used a rolled hem but I don’t know how to do that yet. ( Don’t judge me). lol

Once the lace pattern pieces were cut they became more unstable, so i fixed the lace lay over to the bodice front and trimmed the excess. This only needed a trim because I have to account for seam allowance because the front bodice was not cut on a fold. (Remember I cut  the two bodice pieces in two  instead of on the fold
                          BEFORE                                                                         AFTER

IMG_3671                           IMG_3672


ALMOST DONE

Attach the sleeves (using the binder clips) and measure your neck to make a neck band.

IMG_3673IMG_3674IMG_3675

Note: This is the first time I used a commercial pattern for the pieces and did not follow their directions.  So if you purchase the pattern I definitely didn’t follow them.  In fact I didn’t even read them.  lol

I used 4 inch bias binding for the neck band, waist band and sleeve band. I am obsessed with finishes.  I even had enough scraps left over to attempt shorts.  Well i loved them.

And now for the finished product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3682   IMG_3694   IMG_3702 IMG_3703 IMG_3704 IMG_3711

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s